I’ve always loved the look of a painted mason jar. Mason jars are super cute, amazing for food and craft storage, and they make for fantastic decorations! And, on a hot summer day in the South, a mason jar with an ice-cold drink go so well together! For today’s DIY, I’m going to show you how I used Fusion Mineral Paint Twilight Geranium and Metallic Rose Gold to create a wonderful statement piece out of a painted mason jar that you can use as decoration in a variety of ways – and all in just 6 easy steps!
Example of What You’ll Be Making
What You’ll Need
- Mason jar
- Fusion Mineral Paint TSP Alternative
- Fusion Mineral Paint Twilight Geranium
- Fusion Mineral Paint Metallic Rose Gold
- StaalMeester Oval #45
- Chip Brush
1. Clean your mason jar with Fusion Mineral Paint TSP Alternative. This is a water-based degreaser which removes fingerprints, stains, oil, grease, and other contaminants. It will improve the adhesion of the paint to your surface! You don’t even have to rinse it off, it’s so easy.
2. Grab your StaalMeester Oval #45 and Fusion Mineral Paint Twilight Geranium and start painting! You’ll want to place your hand in the jar and lift it instead of holding the jar from the outside. This will prevent fingerprints on your newly cleaned surface and it will make painting the jar so much easier!
3. Repeat step 2 two more times. After your third coat of paint, let the paint dry.
4. Grab your chip brush and Fusion Mineral Paint Metallic Rose Gold and start painting! This coat is supposed to add shine to your Twilight Geranium, not cover it entirely. Keep this in mind and use light strokes with little paint. You will want to dip your brush into the paint and then remove the excess paint off the brush by wiping it off on a paper. One coat of Metallic Rose Gold should do the trick.
5. Let the paint dry.
6. You’re all done! All Fusion Mineral Paints have a built-in top coat so there’s no need to add anything on top. Not only that, but Fusion Mineral Paints are waterproof! Feel free to place this cute decoration out on your patio.
FYI: The finished look of this decorative piece will be rustic. If you would like your new decoration to look flawless and not chip, you can apply a very thin coat of Fusion Mineral Paint Ultra Grip before your first coat of paint! This will aid the paint in adhering to the glass and will prevent it from scuffing or chipping if the rustic look isn’t for you.
What did you think? Let us know if you try this DIY Painted Mason Jar Decoration and tag us in the photos of your end product for a chance to be featured on our page.
Follow us on Instagram at @gogginscreations for more painting tips and DIY ideas!